Labels

Thursday 30 January 2014

Speed or Distance?

Speed or Distance?

I honestly ponder this question continuously at the moment. I can't stop.

I really want to keep up my longs runs. Well, actually, what I should say is that I'd like to get back into my long runs on a regular basis. Anything over, mmm, lets say 12 or 13km.
On the other hand I find even the thought of long runs soooo boring. What a waste of 1.5 to 2 hours.

I kid myself by saying that as long as I'm running 5-8km a few times a week then I should be right to pull a half marathon out of the bag in a couple of months. Deep down I realise that's probably not a smart thing.

I am loving little speed goals instead. I've cracked under 5 minute/km pace for 5km and have managed to maintain it for 6km. What I'd love is a sub 50 minute 10km.

So, thoughts to paper, I think I should keep doing shorter, faster runs and get a long run every 3 weeks or so just to feel like I'm not losing that distance ability. If I run the half marathons that I have in my sights (one in March and another in July) then I can just take them as they come. No pressure, just fun run.

Easy? Yes, in theory. I just need to work out how to run without pressure on myself (from myself).

Thoughts would be appreciated..

4 comments:

  1. I am not an expert, but this is my opinion: You need a long run. You need to be able to do 10 miles at one time in order to be Half-Marathon ready. You need that at least once every 2 weeks. Normally I would say once a week, but I have gone two weeks at a time where my long run was 6-8 miles. Just my opinion, fwiw. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephani. I think I could probably compromise (I guess thats what it is) and do one long run every fortnight. At least that way I won't feel burdened each week but still achieving something. I appreciate that youve taken the time to comment

      Delete
  2. I'm with you that a long run every weekend is more than a little annoying. It takes so long between the run, recovery and shower. Currently I really enjoy shorter speed workouts and hill workouts. And I value my emotional state and desire to keep the enjoyment in running enough to not continuously put myself through a schedule that I hate.

    Anyway, my thought is experiment! Try a long every 2 or 3 weeks before your March race. You're experienced enough to know you *can* finish it, even if it turns out to not be a great race, right? Then make appropriate adjustments for the July half. You may find a perfect training balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larissa. You're right about valuing your/my emotional state!
      There is a part of me that is concerned how i'll feel if it's not a 'great race' but I just have to get my head around the bigger picture of how far i've come. Thanks again

      Delete